The Explorer's Society
Founded in 1598 by Cameron MacCormick, the Explorer’s Society has been the at the forefront of archaeological research and discovery for almost nine years. They have unearthed sites of Syrneth cities, catalogued nearly five hundred individual artifacts, and maintained the largest library of maps in Théah. Members openly display their affiliation with the Society, wearing silver pins and rings that display the magnetic compass with pride.
The Society has captured the imagination of the public, and their fame rivals even that of the Knights of the Rose and Cross; many plays and novelettes have been written with Society members as main characters.
MacCormick founded the Society to discourage “diggers” — men and women raiding Syrneth cities and stealing the artifacts to sell to nobles. The Society is much more concerned with categorizing and studying artifacts than selling them. The long, heavy leather coats worn by Society members are often called “digger coats”, a title the Explorers could live without.
Strangely enough, the strongest opponents of the Explorer’s Society are members of the Vaticine Church. The Third Prophet denounced exploring the Syrneth ruins, saying such activity led to corruption of the soul. While some Cardinals have come to the Society’s defense, the Church’s stance has remained unbending: “such activity is heretical and will be punished if need be with death.”
The current headquarters of the Society is in the Avalon city of Carleon (MacCormick’s home city). Regional headquarters can be found in Montaigne, Vendel and the Eisen city of Freiburg. Members must give hospitality to any member who asks for it (including sanctuary from Church
officials if it should become necessary).